Chapter 21 Overview
This chapter discusses the composition of Earth's interior and the theory of plate tectonics. The chapter also covers the causes and classification of earthquakes and volcanoes. The chapter then introduces students to the types and properties of rocks and the rock cycle. Finally, this chapter covers the concepts of physical weathering, chemical weathering, and erosion.
Chapter 21 pages 726-769
Chapter Goals- Students will be able to explain:
Chapter 21 S.1 Earth's Interior and Plate Tectonics
1. How is Earth's interior structured?
2. How has the appearance of Earth changed over time?
3. What geologic features are common near tectonic plate boundaries?
Chapter 21 S.2 Earthquakes and Volcanoes
1. Where do most earthquakes occur?
2. How do scientists learn about earthquakes and the Earth's interior?
3. What is a volcano?
Chapter 21 S.3 Minerals and Rocks
1. What minerals make up rocks?
2. How are scientists able to tell how old a rock is?
Chapter 21 S.4 Weathering and Erosion
1. How does physical weathering affect rocks?
2. How are rocks affected by chemical weathering?
3. What is erosion, and what causes it to happen?
Chapter 21 Vocab