Chapter 2 pages 42-73
Chapter 2 Overview
This chapter covers matter, atoms, and elements and distinguishes between elements and compounds. Molecules and chemical formulas are also discussed, as well as the differences between pure substances and mixtures. It also covers physical and chemical properties and changes. The concept of density and calculations involving density are introduced. Finally, the chapter covers the physical and chemical changes of matter and explains how chemical changes can be detected.
Chapter 2 S.1 Classifying Matter
1. How can matter be classified?
2. Why are carbon and copper classified as elements?
3. How are elements related to compounds?
4. What is the difference between a pure substance and a mixture?
Chapter 2 S.2 Properties of Matter
1. Why are color, volume, and density classified as physical properties?
2. Why are flammability and reactivity classified as chemical properties?
Chapter 2 S.3 Changes of Matter
1. Why is getting a haircut an example of a physical change?
2. Why is baking bread an example of a chemical change?
3. How can mixtures and compounds be broken down?
Chapter 2 Vocab