Chapter 1 pages 2-39
Chapter 1 Overview
This chapter explains the nature of science, the scientific method of discovery, and the difference between scientific theories and laws. This chapter also describes how scientists use models and mathematics. Science skills, math skills, and units of measurement are taught next, followed by organization and presentation of data. The knowledge and skills gained in this chapter will serve as a foundation for the study of science.Chapter Goals- Students will be able to explain:
Chapter 1 S.1 The Nature of Science
1. How do scientists explore the world?
2. How are the many types of science organized?
3. What are scientific theories, and how are they different from scientific law?
Chapter 1 S.2 The Way Science Works
1. How can I think and act like a scientist?
2. How do scientists measure things?
Chapter 1 S.3 Organizing Data
1. Why is organizing data and important science skill?
2. How do scientists handle very large and very small numbers?
3. How can you tell the precision of a measurement?
Chapter 1 Vocab